INCREASE IN ROADBED STABILITY ON SLIDING SECTIONS
POVYSHENIE USTOICHIVOSTI ZEMLIANOGO POLOTNA NA OPOLZNEVYKH UCHASTKAKH
This booklet presents the following five reports: (1) The influence of the Volga River on sliding processes on river slopes; river related reasons for systematic sliding deformations in the Volsk station region, evaluation of the influence of thawing on the sliding slopes by the reservoir, prognosis of flow speeds, evaluation of possibility of river-bed erosion in reservior conditions; (2) Research on the effectiveness of the operation of deep drainage curtains as sliding preventive constructions; scrutinizes the results of geometrical research carried out on the Uvekskij sliding hillside, gives an evaluation of the operational effectiveness of deep drainage curtains applied in the capacity of a means for intercepting underground water in the boundaries of a sliding section for the drying and strengthening of the sliding hillside, analyses the climatic, geological, hydro-geological conditions and operations of elements of the drainage system; (3) On the choice of stabilization means for the subgrade on sliding sections of river slopes; examines problems of evaluating stability, analyses the expediency and effectiveness of applying various counter sliding and strengthening measures for stabilizing the subgrade, and notes that the stability of sliding masses decreases with the course of time under the influence of natural processes occuring within the slide. (4) Test of application of deep-water dike-dams for protection from erosion in the Uvekskij hillside district; includes dike-dam designs with indications for means for their repair, and presents research results on the effectiveness of deep water dike-dam operation (5) Survey of underwater contour of the sea-floor and deep water structures by means of a sonic depth finder.
- Abstract only available in English, original untranslated as of November 1976.
All-Union Labor Red Banner Railway Research InstUSSR Ministry of Railways
Moscow B-174, USSR
- Publication Date: 1973
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 133 p.
- TRT Terms: Drainage; Erosion; Freezing; Geological events; Landslides; Measuring instruments; Slope stability; Slopes; Soil mechanics; Soil stabilization; Soil water; Subgrade (Pavements); Thaw; Water table
- Old TRIS Terms: Geological conditions
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00130205
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Ts.N.I.I. No. 487 Proceeding
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 23 1977 12:00AM