MOTIVATING LOCAL AUTHORITIES TO CHANGE THE TRAFFIC ENVIRONMENT WITH SPECIAL EMPHASIS ON ROAD SAFETY FOR CHILDREN. A CASE STUDY OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF LERUM, SWEDEN, 1968-72.
The purpose was to analyze how much interest is shown by the local authorities in increasing traffic safety for children. A suburb of Gothenburg was investigated. Analyses of reports, interviews with persons dealing with these matters, study of the local press and analyses of accident statistics were the methods employed. The traffic safety committee has a central role; a third of its cases deal with children and safety. Half of the cases were generated from the local authorities. The most frequent types of question were the roads to school, including problems of crossing, need for separated foot paths and bicycle roads. The study shows that many authorities deal with safety problems. This therefore takes a lot of time. The study recommends that various authorities be coordinated, that a master plan for measures be set up together with a financial plan, and that the public obtains better contacts with and information from the politicians and the road authorities. /TRRL/
Chalmers University of Technology, SwedenDepartment of Applied Mechanics/CHARMEC
- GUNNARSSON, S O
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: Figures; Photos; References;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Children; Coordination; Crash investigation; Crashes; Improvements; Interviewing; Local government; Local government agencies; Motivation; Prevention; Public relations; Safety; School children; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Child safety
- Geographic Terms: Sweden
- ITRD Terms: 1643: Accident; 1661: Accident prevention; 1758: Child; 9108: Improvement; 192: Local authority; 2295: Motivation; 1665: Safety; 8109: Sweden
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; I82: Accidents and Transport Infrastructure; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00129998
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Swedish National Road and Traffic Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: R&D Rept.
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 7 1976 12:00AM