PRELIMINARY SYSTEM PLAN, VOLUME II FOR RESTRUCTURED RAILROADS IN THE NORTHEAST AND MIDWEST REGION
This volume deals specifically with the railroad light density line issue and the potential impact upon shippers and communities in the Northeast and Midwest region. It also defines the method used to compare the costs of providing safe and efficient rail service with the actual revenues from existing or projected traffic over each branch line. Railroad marine operations were also discussed as well as the methods used to analyze car-ferry operations. The community impact of abandonment of railroad service and a line-by-line analysis and recommendation for inclusion of specific light density line segments in the Consolidated Rail System are discussed.
- This document sponsored by the U.S. Congress, was written in response to the Regional Rail Reorganization Act of 1973. See also PB-239845, RRIS #25 095417, RRIS Bulletin 7502.
United States Railway Association2100 2nd Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20595
- Publication Date: 1975-2-26
- Pagination: 497 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Economic analysis; Intermodal transportation; Railroad traffic; Regional planning; Traffic density; Water transportation
- Geographic Terms: Northeastern United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Light density lines; Regional rail reorganization act
- Subject Areas: Economics; Marine Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00095416
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Railway Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: USRA/R-021.1 Prel. Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Pub. Law 93-236
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM