PETROLEUM OIL DETECTION BUOY SYSTEM
Extended capability floating buoy designed to detect petroleum oils ranging in composition from crude to kerosene has been developed and performance tested. This buoy is powered by a land based low voltage direct current power supply at nominally 12 volts. The average total power requirements for the buoy are less than 0.75 watts. The detection system employs fluorescent techniques whereby the oils floating on the water surface are excited by short wavelength ultraviolet radiation and produced, by fluorescence emission, radiation in the near ultraviolet and blue end of the visible spectrum. The fluorescent radiation is selectively detected to produce an alarm condition. Improvements have been made to the mechanical packaging to facilitate deployment and field service.
Spectrogram CorporationNorth Haven, CT USA 06473
- Gram, H R
- Publication Date: 1975-3-31
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Fluorescence; Oils; Spectroscopic analysis; Water quality management
- Old TRIS Terms: Oil detector buoys; Oil fluorescence
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00129880
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 0250USCG-D-39-75 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-43345
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 10 1976 12:00AM