STRUCTURAL MATERIALS FOR MARINE APPLICATIONS
This paper traces the evolution of ABS hull steels resulting from important technological developments, service related problems and special applications that have led to the diversification of shipbuilding materials. The American Bureau of Shipping has "Rules" and "Guides" for building and classing a wide variety of marine structures. Material applications for such vessels as ultra large crude carriers (supertankers), offshore drilling units, and liquefied gas carriers are discussed. Because of the Bureau's international activities, specification formulations must take into account adaptability, availability and cost, in addition to primary technical considerations.
- Presented at the Philadelphia Section Meeting of SNAME.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Alia, B L
- Wheatcroft, M F
- Publication Date: 1975-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 25 p.
- TRT Terms: Chemical tankers; Design; Liquefied gases; Liquefied natural gas; Offshore structures; Shipbuilding materials; Steel; Supertankers
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Marine Transportation; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00095342
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM