NS SAVANNAH FUEL DESIGN AND DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM. REFUELING TESTS, PART 1
The purpose of this test was to refine the G.E. fuel bundle with respect to refueling procedures to assure its compatibility with the Babcock & Wilcox Savannah Nuclear Reactor refueling system. Trial insertions of the dummy fuel bundle into a simulated core can, while subjecting the bundle to twist, bow, and eccentricity of the core components, produced hang-up of the operation. Each hangup illustrated a specific defect in the test fuel assembly, and led to a modification of same. At the completion of this test, no hang-ups occurred while subjecting the bundle to excessive bow, twist, and core misalignment. In all cases, the fuel bundle slid in and out of the core with ease.
General ElectricMarine Turbine & Gear Engineer, 1100 Western Ave
Lynn, MA USA 01910
- Johnson, R E
- Publication Date: 1959-9-23
- Pagination: 64 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Fuel elements; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Refueling
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor construction; Nuclear reactor fuel elements
- Subject Areas: Construction; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00026575
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 1 1973 12:00AM