AN APPROACH TO THE METROLINER UPDATING PROGRAM
The Metroliners have operated in high speed intercity service in the Northeast Corridor for several years. During this period of time, they have received public acceptance as a fast, convenient and comfortable mode of transportation. However, a further expansion of service to greater passenger volume has been prevented by the low availability of the fleet. In late 1970, the Department of Transportation instituted a Metroliner Updating Program designed to improve the availability of the fleet. The program is proceeding in three major phases 1) Program Definition, 2) Engineering Design and Prototype Hardware, 3) Verification Testing. At this writing four of the present cars have been modified to prototype configuration and are ready for verification testing. This paper describes the approach to the program taken by Westinghouse Electric Corporation who updated two of the cars. An analysis of the causes of low reliability and poor maintainability led to a definition of the updating program. Simplified performance requirements and major modifications to several car systems are expected to increase reliability by a factor of four over that of the present car. Designs which are directed toward ease of maintenance together with monitoring and failure diagnosis equipment are expected to improve the maintainability so that 80% rather than the present 20% of all problems can be diagnosed and repaired within the turn-around time of one hour at the terminal.
- A paper recommended by the IEEE Land Transportation Committee of the IEEE Industry Application Society for presentation at the 1975 Joint ASME/IEEE Railroad Conference, San Francisco, Cal., April 13-16, 1975.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)3 Park Avenue, 17th Floor
New York, NY United States 10016-5997
- Uber, R A
- Publication Date: 1975-3
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 18 p.
- TRT Terms: Air filters; Diodes; Dynamic braking; Electric power conditioning; Maintainability; Reliability; Supply; Temperature measurement; Thyristors; Ventilation systems
- Identifier Terms: Metroliner (Express train)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Availability
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00095284
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Report/Paper Numbers: C-75-354-6-IA Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 15 1975 12:00AM