A COMPARISON OF CHARPY V-NOTCH, DYNAMIC TEAR, AND PRECRACKED CHARPY IMPACT TRANSITION-TEMPERATURE CURVES FOR AAR GRADES OF CAST STEEL
Impact tests using Charpy V-notch, Dynamic Tear and Precracked Charpy samples were conducted on AAR-B, AAR-C (several compositions and heat treatments), and AAR-E cast grades of steel and on a high-strength, alloy cast steel. Graphical presentations of the transition-temperature data are given. Differences in the relative shapes of the curves and the locations of the NDT temperatures with respect to the transition temperatures are discussed. Fracture toughness, K sub Id, values are also presented.
- Contributed by the Rail Transportation Division of the ASME to be presented at the Joint Railroad Conference held jointly with IEEE, San Francisco, Calif., April 15-17, 1975.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Sharkey, R L
- Stone, D H
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- TRT Terms: Alloy steel; Fracture properties; Freight cars; High strength steel; Impact loads; Low temperature; Materials science; Steel; Steel castings; Stresses; Tests; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Car component design; Freight car components; Impact loading
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00095220
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: 75-RT-1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 2 1976 12:00AM