CONSOLIDATED NUCLEAR STEAM GENERATOR FOR MERCHANT SHIP APPLICATION, A CONCEPTUAL DESIGN
A conceptual design for merchant ship application of a consolidated nuclear steam generator (a compact integral boiler reactor fully submerged within a flooded containment tank) is presented. The current conceptual design discussed is accompanied by consideration of the work remaining to be done and the alternative features that would be incorporated in a potential power plant as incentives for the further development of a nuclear powered merchant fleet. Specific sections are provided on: economic perspective; goal and reference designs; reference design description; ship and plant arrangement; economic analysis; research and development; alternate designs; and supporting studies. Appendices deal with specifications and dispersion of radioactivity into the ocean.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number BAW-1243.
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyAtomic Energy Commission
Lynchburg, VA USA 24504
- Publication Date: 1962-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 345 p.
- TRT Terms: Design; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor design
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026544
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: BAW-1243
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-1)-2468
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 13 1973 12:00AM