OIL PRODUCTS ON THE OCEAN ROUTES UP TO 1980
The recent upheavals in crude oil supply and price and their traumatic effect, have tended to overshadow the fundamental changes in refined oil products trading already under way, and destined for even greater impact through the decade and thereafter. The purpose of this report is to bring these developments into focus with both a global and regional perspective. The pattern of seaborne oil products trading through the post war period has been dominated by the siting of refineries within ultimate consuming markets, the location of new capacity programmed through the 1970's shows a fundamental movement away from this pattern for a mix of political, economic and environmental reasons. As the report illustrates, the change in sea time consequent upon these developments is accompanied by a narrowing of the "growth band", in terms of type of refinery production, towards the black oils. All of the global oil product flows indicated have been broken down into gasolines and the fuel oils (gas/diesel and residual fuel oil) to illustrate this point. The implications for refinery location of much larger plants built to benefit from the economies of scale are discussed, as are the effects of bi-lateral agreements aiding 'downstream' investment by the crude producers. In addition the growth of export orientated Mediterranean capacity and the massive increase in offshore capacity for the U.S. A. are discussed in depth. In the final section the conclusions of the study are conveniently summarized into trade matrices of the principal movements between importing and exporting areas of the world for the years 1974, 1976, 1978, and 1980.
- Publication Date: 1974-3
- Pagination: 69 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Economic forecasting; Economics; Freight traffic; Petroleum; Petroleum industry; Petroleum terminals; Studies; Trade; Trade routes; Transportation; Trend (Statistics)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Petroleum trade
- Old TRIS Terms: Oil terminals; Trade forecasts; Trade route studies; Traffic analysis (Freight)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00095181
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Westinform Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 302 Report
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM