SAVANNAH NUCLEAR POWER. NUCLEAR INSTRUMENTATION TESTING AND PERFORMANCE FROM PRE-FUELING CHECK TO 100 PERCENT POWER
Pre-operational tests and operational calibration of the nuclear instrumentation and safety systems were carried out for the N.S. Savannah. Pre-startup equipment check ensured proper function of instrumentation prior to reactor fuel installation, and provided calibration data for future operational evaluation. Overlap between the various channels of nuclear instrumentation during initial rise in reactor power was determined sufficient to allow safe operation at any level. Power range channels were calibrated using data derived from heat balance during power operation. Nuclear instrumentation was adjusted following reactor stabilization at a power level determined by the heat balance. The procedure was repeated at various levels from initial approach to full reactor power.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number NSS-109.
New York Shipbuilding CorporationSavannah Nuclear Technology Department
Camden, NJ USA
- Publication Date: 1962-5-25
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 15 p.
- TRT Terms: Electric power plants; Instrumentation; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Performance; Safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor instrumentation; Nuclear reactor safety; Power plant performance
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026534
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSS-109
- Contract Numbers: MA-1675
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 13 1974 12:00AM