CONFERENCE DEVELOPS HANDICAPPED STANDARDS
New standards covering students with special education transportation needs were developed during the 11th National School Bus Standards Conference which recommend policies, procedures and guidelines for anyone involved in providing pupil transportation services to the handicapped. This group of conference attendants reinforced some of the duties, tasks and activities brought out during the previous years' gathering by making these items mandatory as opposed to discretionary. Specifications for equipment on buses for the handicapped include the controversial requirement that all wheelchair seating be forward facing as opposed to side facing, aisle width and wheelchair position in respect to emergency doors, power lifts for pupils requiring special equipment while traveling on the bus, seat frames and securement devices or systems. Training programs covering transportation of these special pupils as well as medical and health precautions, care and intervention for school administrators, education staff, transportation administrators/supervisors, drivers and attendants were also recommended at this Conference.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/5321218
Bobit Publishing Company21061 S Western Avenue
Torrance, CA United States 90501-1711
- Publication Date: 1990-8
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Management; Persons with disabilities; School buses; Seats; Standards; Training; Vehicle design; Wheelchairs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Seating position
- Old TRIS Terms: Management training
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Design; Education and Training; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Society; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00497189
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1990 12:00AM