LECTURES ON TURBULENCE AND MIXING PROCESSES IN STRATIFIED FLUIDS
The report contains a set of notes based on a set of lectures for a summer course 'Vertical Exchange Processes in the Sea'. Topic 1 gives a background discussion of basic fluid mechanical problems and simple turbulence theory. Topic 2 discusses mixing in a stably stratified fluid. Topic 3 is concerned with the Richardson number, the flex Richardson number and eddy coefficients of viscosity and buoyancy tegether with a discussion of mass and salt transfers at the mouth of an estuary and a determination of the depth of the halocline in an estuary. Topic 4 contains a discussion of the surface layer of the atmosphere. Topic 5 discusses density currents and wake collapse. Topic 6 involves problems in which the earth's rotation is important. (Author)
Johns Hopkins University, BaltimoreBaltimore, MD USA 21218
- Long, R R
- Publication Date: 1974-10
- Pagination: 141 p.
- TRT Terms: Estuaries; Motion; Ocean currents; Two phase flow
- Old TRIS Terms: Stratified flow
- Subject Areas: Design; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00095113
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: TR06-Ser-C Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-67A-0163-0013
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 29 1975 12:00AM