WEST LONDON ASSESSMENT STUDY. STAGE TWO: REPORT ON OPTIONS
This study is one of four London assessment studies, and sets out options for reducing transport related problems, identified in stage 1 of the study (see IRRD no 803943). Stage two was undertaken in two phases. The first phase was reported in a working paper in which a wide range of transport options at a broad level were identified. This report presents twelve options of which eight are examined in some detail. The base option is a 'do minimum' approach in which it is assumed that all measures included in the local borough's current transport policies and programme (TPP) and Department of Transport regional schemes would be adopted. The other options consist of combinations of various core measures: traffic management and control; improvements to existing roads; new road links; bus and rail service improvements; park and ride; cyclist and pedestrian facility improvements. Options three, five and twelve incorporate a proposal for a new north-south strategic link in West London, the western environmental improvement route (WEIR). This dual carriageway road with some grade separation would be routed alongside the west London railway line, to reduce heavy congestion in the Earl's Court area. For the eight options which were assessed in some detail, cost, value for money, land acquisition requirements, travel changes, economic effects, environmental impact, and effect upon road safety were considered. In the overall conclusion, option twelve, which in addition to WEIR, would provide a new strategic road link between the north circular via the A4 in Chiswick, and the eastern end of the study area in Clapham, was considered to offer the most potential for improvement.
Halcrow Group Limited44 Brook Green, Hammersmith
London, United Kingdom W6 7BY
- Publication Date: 1989-12
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Automobiles; Buses; Costs; Environment; Forecasting; Origin and destination; Parking; Public participation; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Road construction; Sound; Traffic; Traffic congestion; Traffic flow; Traffic restraint; Transportation; Trucks; Urban areas
- ITRD Terms: 1272: Bus; 1243: Car; 632: Congestion (traffic); 224: Cost; 2455: Environment; 132: Forecast; 1236: Lorry; 2748: Main road; 687: Origin destination traffic; 955: Parking; 142: Public participation; 744: Public transport; 1173: Rail bound transport; 3665: Road construction; 6748: Sound; 755: Traffic; 671: Traffic flow; 633: Traffic restraint; 1155: Transport; 313: Urban area
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00498463
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1990 12:00AM