TECHNICAL REPORT FOR COTA TRANSIT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
The purpose of the study of which this report is part is to evaluate and to set before the Central Ohio Transit Authority all meaningful short-term (five year) options to be used in its transit development program. While the primary purpose of this report is to recommend new transit service, it considers the many related services that are essential in achieving quality service and in developing strong consumer response. The first three chapters present a background on the existing service with a summary of recommendations. The present Columbus Transit Company routes are thoroughly evaluated with a revenue/cost analysis as a basis for suggesting adjustments to existing lines. Chapter four discusses new bus service in which twenty-nine new routes and extensions are studied and set according to priority. Chapter five points out ways to achieve faster transit service on existing streets and freeways and recommends a new concept--the reverse direction freeway bus lane. Chapter six reviews existing neighborhood service provided in the Model Cities area and in other areas by crosstown routes. COTA's relationship to the other two local private carriers is discussed in Chapter seven. Chapter eight outlines capital equipment needs including bus stop shelters, a radio system, information system and a centralized maintenance facility. Chapter nine recommends an evaluation to rapid transit beginning with fringe parking, through acquisition of space along rail right-of-way for busways, culminating in the development of a separate right-of-way new technology system. There is much documentation in the form of tables, maps of the system, and a bibliography.
- Prepared for the Central Ohio Transit Authority.
Mid-Ohio Regional Planning Commission285 East Main Street
Columbus, OH USA 43215-5272
- Publication Date: 1973-2
- Pagination: 95 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Bus lanes; Bus priority; Bus rapid transit; Costs; Development; Energy; Level of service; Needs assessment; Systems analysis; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Transportation system analysis
- Subject Areas: Energy; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00095042
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: OH-09-0011
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 7 1981 12:00AM