SUPPLEMENT A, BY-PRODUCT MATERIAL LICENSE APPLICATION
Specifications involving by-product materials of the N.S. Savannah are presented for a license application for the servicing and maintenance contractor. Specific authorization is sought for the following: to receive, possess, package, store, and transfer low level liquid and solid wastes; to receive, possess, decontaminate, use, repair, and modify and transfer certain low level contaminated and/or activated items; to receive, possess, store, sort, repackage, and transfer low level contaminated laundry; and to perform these operations in restricted areas where airborne concentrations exceed specified limitations. The N.S.V. Atomic Servant, a non-self-propelled barge of steel construction, provides a mobile servicing facility for the Savannah for the storage of irradiated fuel elements and for the acceptance, processing, and storage of liquid and solid wastes. It also contains facilities for decontamination and limited repair of equipment. The hazards involved in the transfer of low level liquid and solid waste materials from the Savannah to the Atomic Servant, and from the Atomic Servant to the licensed subcontractor, are presented and analyzed, The health physics program consists of instructions to personnel, as well as release limits, permissible exposures, and other standards.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number T-6-B.
Todd Shipyards CorporationNuclear Division, PO Box 1600
Galveston, TX USA 77550
- Publication Date: 1962-4-18
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 237 p.
- TRT Terms: Maintenance; Materials management; Nuclear powered ships; Spent reactor fuels
- Subject Areas: Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00026503
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: MA-2206
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 14 1973 12:00AM