INFLATABLE BODY AND HEAD RESTRAINT
The patent application concerns a vehicle occupant restraint system which includes a bladder member securely affixed to shoulder straps and a lap belt. The bladder member comprises a central pocket portion in fluid communication with two pelvic bags and two chest bags. The chest bags are additionally interconnected with a chin bag member. Upon impact the bladder member automatically inflates to thereby cushions the pelvic and chest areas against the forces of the collision and simultaneously the chin bag member inflates to thereby prevent rotation of the vehicle occupant's chin into his chest.
- Government-owned invention available for licensing. Copy of application available NTIS.
Department of the NavyWashington, DC United States
- Schulman, M
- Publication Date: 1975-6-23
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Air bags; Automatic control; Automation; Bags; Construction; Crash causes; Crashes; Deployable head restraints; Headrests; Inflatable structures; Manual safety belts; Passenger vehicles; Protection; Restraint systems; Safety equipment; Shape; Shoulder harnesses; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Configuration
- Old TRIS Terms: Body; Inflatable devices; Inflating; Occupant restraint; Shoulder harness
- Subject Areas: Construction; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00094873
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-589296
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 14 1976 12:00AM