TRAFFIC IN LONDON. A DISCUSSION DOCUMENT ON INITIATIVES TO TACKLE THE PROBLEMS
The purpose of this document is to explain the programmes and initiatives that the government has in hand and has just announced for improving conditions on london's roads and for easing congestion. The document also describes the role and further development of public transport, discusses some of the options for restraining traffic, and indicates key considerations about action on the London assessment studies. There are two main elements to the proposals made by the secretary of state for transport, cecil parkinson: a) the establishment of a priority route network (red routes), and b) a new system of general parking controls and enforcement. The report has the following sections: 1) introduction; 2) the developing situation; 3) the role of the railways; 4) the problem on london's roads; 5) the contribution public transport can make to relieving road congestion; 6) traffic restraint; 7) further traffic management and parking iniatives, and 8) the London assessment studies.
Department for Transport, EnglandGreat Minster House, 76 Marsham Street
London, England SW1P 4DR
- Publication Date: 1989-12
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Automobiles; Bus priority; Freeways; Investments; Law enforcement; Networks; Parking; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Roads; Subways; Traffic; Traffic congestion; Traffic restraint; Traffic signal preemption; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Road networks
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 1243: Car; 632: Congestion (traffic); 1534: Enforcement (law); 227: Investment; 2748: Main road; 2752: Motorway; 955: Parking; 648: Priority (traffic); 744: Public transport; 1173: Rail bound transport; 1053: Road network; 755: Traffic; 633: Traffic restraint; 1191: Underground railway; 8119: United Kingdom; 313: Urban area
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00498887
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1990 12:00AM