SOUTH CIRCULAR ASSESSMENT STUDY. STAGE TWO REPORT: OPTIONS
This study is one of four London assessment studies, and sets out options for reducing transport related problems, identified in stage 1 of the South Circular Assessment Study (SCAS). The problems are identified though a consultation exercise and local surveys as high traffic volumes, heavy congestion, a limited road network capacity, inadequate east-west rail and underground network. In the first part of stage two, nine options were identified and preliminary assessment made. The base option is a 'do minimun' approach which comprises committed highway and public transport schemes, for completion by year 2001. The other options consist of various core measures: traffic management and control; improvements to existing roads; new road links; improvements to bus and rail facilities; additional cycleways and pedestrian facilities. Stage 2B presents detailed assessments of six options. Costs, construction land and property acquisition requirements transport modelling and appraisal, economic evaluation and social and environmental implications for each option were examined. The preferred option (option 3), is a package of measures expected to cost 870 million, including upgrading of the South Circular road, and several major public transport investments, proving new rail services to parts of south London. The option also includes schemes involving the designation of enviromental zones, bus lanes, cycle routes and pedestrian facilities.
Travers Morgan136 Long Acre
- Publication Date: 1989-12
- Pagination: 195 p.
- TRT Terms: Aesthetics; Automobiles; Buses; Costs; Environment; Forecasting; Origin and destination; Parking; Public participation; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Road construction; Sound; Traffic; Traffic flow; Traffic restraint; Transportation; Trucks; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Visual intrusions
- ITRD Terms: 1272: Bus; 1243: Car; 224: Cost; 2455: Environment; 132: Forecast; 1236: Lorry; 687: Origin destination traffic; 955: Parking; 142: Public participation; 744: Public transport; 1173: Rail bound transport; 3665: Road construction; 6748: Sound; 755: Traffic; 671: Traffic flow; 633: Traffic restraint; 1155: Transport; 313: Urban area; 2481: Visual intrusion
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00498465
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1990 12:00AM