PRIORITY AND SAFETY ON JUNCTIONS I. ACCIDENTS
VOORRANG EN VEILIGHEID OP KRUISPUNTEN I. ONGEVALLEN
Some of the research project "Priority and safety at junctions" is described in this report. For this study, the highway and traffic characteristics of more than 1500 intersections and T-junctions are collected and coupled to the accidents which are registered on these locations. With the aid of these data, types of junctions are classified according to highway and traffic characteristics, and the types of accidents are determined by means of accident characteristics. Thereafter the relationships are determined, for each type of junction between the highway and traffic characteristics and the number of the different types of accidents. It was difficult to determine the types of junctions on the basis of highway and traffic characteristics of the junctions. It was also impossible to determine a typology of accidents on the basis of accident characteristics. In order to determine the relationship between accidents on the one hand and the highway and traffic characteristics on the other hand, it was decided to analyse the following variables: (1) location, divided into (four leg) intersections and (three leg) T-junctions, and thereafter divided into locations with and without particular priority regulations; and (2) accidents with two vehicles arriving from crossing intersection-legs, and subdivided into proposed manoeuvre and a type of vehicle. A relationship between the highway and traffic characteristics could be only determined for some of these types of accident.
The Hague, Netherlands 2594 AW
- POPPE, F
- Publication Date: 1988
- Pagination: 101 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus priority; Classification; Crashes; Data collection; Intersections; Layout; Location; Numbers; Properties of materials; T intersections; Traffic density; Traffic signal preemption; Vehicles
- Geographic Terms: Netherlands
- Subject Areas: Materials; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00498399
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: R-88-47
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1990 12:00AM