THE ALTERNATIVES TO GRIDLOCK: PERSPECTIVES ON MEETING CALIFORNIA'S TRANSPORTATION NEEDS
Highway and road systems have not expanded as fast as automobiles have been added, and politicians have been reluctant to raise highway user taxes which have decreased in both absolute and relative terms. California now stands at the bottom of the states in relative spending on transportation, and new construction projects have come to a virtual halt. This crisis has placed transportation at the top of California's policy agenda for the 1990s. This book attempts to bring together information representing different perspectives (governmental, business, environmental, and other) on the problem, in order to help to find common ground. Many of the articles in the book refer to ballot propositions that will appear on the 1990 ballot: Proposition 111, Traffic Congestion Relief and Spending Limitation Act of 1990; Proposition 108 to take effect if the above fails, will authorize general obligation bonds to raise funds; and Proposition 116, the Clean Air and Transportation Improvement Act. The individual papers are are as follows: A View from the State Assembly; A view from the State Senate; A View from the Deukmejian Administration; What Caltrans Can Do; Changing Driving Behavior: The Safety Dimension; California and National Transportation Policies in the Post-Interstate Era; A view from Local Government; Three Fallacies about Transportation in California; Investing in California's Future: The Business Community's Position on Transportation Finance; 'Pay as You Go' is the Only Way to Go; Real Solutions Require Real Leadership; Heading the Wrong Way: Redirecting California's Transportation Policies; Back on Track: Trains in California's Future; What Climate Change Means for Transportation Policy in California; The Case for Public Transit; The Promise of Electric Vehicles.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0912102918
California Institute of Public AffairsP.O. Box 189040
Sacramento, CA United States 95818
- Publication Date: 1990
- Pagination: 128 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Behavior; Climate; Drivers; Electric vehicles; Environmental impacts; Finance; Financing; Highway safety; Local government; Private enterprise; Public transit; State government; Traffic congestion; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Urban transportation
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Environment; Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Policy; Public Transportation; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00497526
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0-912102-91-8
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 2001 12:00AM