ACCIDENT REDUCTION FACTORS FOR USE IN CALCULATING BENEFIT/COST. DEVELOPMENT OF ACCIDENT REDUCTION FACTORS FOR FLORIDA. TECHNICAL REPORT. VOLUME 1
Accident reduction factors are a necessary element needed for the determination of benefit/cost (B/C) ratios. These ratios are crucial for the assessment for fund allocations for safety improvement projects. The Florida Department of Transportation sponsored a program at the University of Florida in order to develop accident reduction factors relating specifically to Florida's accident experience. Current methodologies used in the determination of accident reduction factors were reviewed, and a simple "before" and "after" study was selected. Accident data taken from three years before and three years after the implementation of a safety countermeasure were analyzed, and the results were compared to other states' accident reduction factors. Data were available for only 58 of the 103 countermeasure types selected for analysis. From the implemented improvement sites that were analyzed, it was found that 24 (41%) were statistically significant based on the assumption of a Poisson distribution at a 95% confidence level. A computer program for the annual reevaluation of accident reduction factors has been produced, and represents significant development towards maintaining Florida's state-of-the-art Highway Safety Improvement Program. This is Volume 1 of a three volume report.
- See also Volume 2 - Florida Manual of Identification, Analysis and Correction of High Accident Locations, and Volume 3 - Florida Accident Reduction Evaluation System (FLARES) User Manual.
University of Florida, GainesvilleEngineering and Industrial Experiment Station
Gainesville, FL United States 32611
Gainesville, FL United States 32602
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Wattleworth, J A
- Atherley, R J
- Hsu, P
- Publication Date: 1988-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 410 p.
- TRT Terms: Before and after studies; Benefit cost analysis; Computer programs; Countermeasures; Improvements; Project management; Safety; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fund allocations; Projects
- Geographic Terms: Florida
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; I81: Accident Statistics;
- Accession Number: 00497303
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FL/DOT/MO/335/88
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 30 1991 12:00AM