PRESTRESSED CONCRETE PAVEMENT: INSTRUMENTATION, IN-SITU BEHAVIOR, AND ANALYSIS. INTERIM REPORT
The long-term work plan at the initial design phase of the McLennan County prestressed concrete pavement (PCP) overlay consisted of the determination of variables that are relevant to design, the development of models and design procedures, and the study of the effect of environmental factors on PCP slabs. The present study focuses on the evaluation of the performance of PCP, with specific observation of horizontal slab displacements caused by changes in temperature. The behavior of the PCP is characterized by the presentation of a field data analysis. The instrumentation of the PCP slabs is described, graphs of measured displacements of the slabs for daily temperature cycles are presented, and a regression analysis of the slab movements is performed. In addition, a model that predicts both displacements and stresses is presented. The model is calibrated to the field data and is used to analyze stress concentrations in the slabs. Finally, conclusions and recommendations based on the instrumentation program, data analysis, and model are outlined.
- Research study title: Prestressed Concrete Pavement (PCP) Overlay IH35 in McLennan County.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Mandel, E D
- Burns, N H
- McCullough, B F
- Publication Date: 1989-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Data analysis; Dislocation (Geology); Field studies; Forecasting; Instrumentation; Mathematical analysis; Mathematical models; Performance evaluations; Prestressed concrete pavements; Recommendations; Regression analysis; Slabs; Stresses; Temperature
- Uncontrolled Terms: Field data; Stress concentration
- Old TRIS Terms: Horizontal displacement
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Highways; Pavements; Research; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces;
- Accession Number: 00497240
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-90+556-2, Res Rept 556-2, CTR 3-10-88/9-556-2
- Contract Numbers: Study 3-10-88/9-556
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Sep 30 1990 12:00AM