ABSTRACTS OF TRAFFIC CONTROL. PRESENTATION GIVEN AT THE 1988 TRB ANNUAL MEETING HELD IN WASHINGTON, DC, U.S.A.
The report summarizes the aspects of intersection control and the control of transit flow in the Netherlands, presented at session 162: 'International perspective on traffic signal systems' of the Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting 1988 in Washington D.C. It describes the Dutch method of traffic control, directed to maximize the performance by economization of every second and priority control for specific modes of transportation. A standard, based on traffic control functions, rather than hardware conditions, developed in cooperation with the controller's industry enables a very dynamic reaction to all relevant variations in traffic demand. Research has been carried out for a systematic design of signalization conditions. Further developments are directed to the operational control of transit flow; fundamentals are presented of regularity and punctuality control and of management information system for a daily supervision of quality aspects in transit flow.
Technische Hogeschool DelftLaboratorie voor Verkeerskunde
- HAKKESTEEGT, P
- Publication Date: 1988-1
- Pagination: 54 p.
- TRT Terms: Highway capacity; Highway operations; Intersections; Management information systems; Speed control; Traffic; Traffic control; Traffic control devices; Traffic flow; Traffic signals
- Uncontrolled Terms: Intersection capacity
- Geographic Terms: Netherlands
- Old TRIS Terms: Intersection speed control
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00497076
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: VK-4500.402
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1990 12:00AM