RECENT TRENDS IN SILENCERS
The major silencer (muffler) requirements are the reduction of exhaust noise and the purification of exhaust gases; on the subject of exhaust noise reduction, a reduction in exhaust back-pressure coincident with increased output and anti-vibration design in hand with lower noise and several themes such as the modeling and making of sound to match the product concept, are included. The silencer in a 4-wheeled vehicle is very important in the purification of exhaust gases; a catalytic converter is fitted in the silencer system, and so that the silencer can be positioned immediately after the catalyst, durability and corrosion resistance over and above present levels are now required. Such questions as those mentioned above are addressed in the article; it describes recent trends in durability (rust, in particular,), vibrational noise and noise reduction effect in car silencers; secondly it describes the processes from planning to design of the main models of motorcycle silencer, citing the 4-stroke 4-cylinder sports version as an example.
- Pub. in Japan SAE Jnl, n10 1986.
Motor Industry Research AssociationWatling Street
Nuneaton CV10 0TU, Warwickshire, England
- Kawaai, T
- Publication Date: 1986
- Pagination: 22 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Catalytic converters; Emission control systems; Engine tuning; Exhaust gases; Motorcycles; Mufflers; Noise; Noise control; Vibration
- Old TRIS Terms: Noise-vibration-harshness; Tune-ups
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00496987
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MIRA-1990/04
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 30 1990 12:00AM