TRANSPORTATION FOR SENIORS AND HANDICAPPED PERSONS IN ST. LOUIS. VOLUME I. MAIN REPORT
The report describes in 2 volumes the transportation problems of the handicapped and older persons of St. Louis, Missouri. The features of the proposed plan are: (1) contracts between the Bi-State Development Agency and health-welfare agencies for purchased transit services; (2) reductions in fares for all persons over 65, and further reductions, through a specific agency contract, for seniors and handicapped who are poor; (3) a special demand actuated subsidiary of the Bi-State system providing door-to-door service for handicapped persons and for the elderly who do not live near the present bus routes; and (4) an accountability system that assures payment for all trips under the various agency contracts. The major breakthrough of the proposed demonstration would be the entry of the transit operator into a new social service role, providing transportation on a purchased services basis in support of health-welfare programs. Simultaneously, the operator would be initiating a new form of public transportation---small bus, demand actuated, door-to-door service.
- Paper copy also available in set of 2 reports as PB-250 789-SET, PC$10.00.
Crain and Associates120 Santo Margarita Avenue
Menlo Park, CA United States 94025
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1974-1
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Bus transportation; Demand responsive transportation; Door to door service; Fares; Federal assistance programs; Financing; Health; Level of service; Persons with disabilities; Programming (Planning); Public transit; Rates; Social factors; Sociology; Standard of living; Transportation operations; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fare reduction; Services; Social welfare; Transportation management; Welfare
- Geographic Terms: Missouri
- Old TRIS Terms: Rates costs
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00094642
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-09-0028-74-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 14 1981 12:00AM