IMPLEMENTATION OF A MEZZO-LEVEL HOV CARPOOL MODEL FOR TEXAS. FINAL REPORT
This report presents the results of an evaluation and adaptation of three existing high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lane carpool demand estimation models for possible use in Houston and other large Texas cities. The models evaluated in this study were originally developed for the Washington, D.C. region. These models use trip tables, networks and zone structures that are consistent with the regional travel demand modeling process currently in use in Texas. By implementing the HOV carpool models in a structure that is consistent with the regional travel demand modeling process, it is possible to estimate the carpool demand for an HOV facility and to evaluate the effects of the following changes in HOV lane configuration and operating strategies: (1) Effects of additional and/or alternative access points; (2) Effects of extending an HOV lane; and (3) Effects of changing the definition of eligible HOV carpools. The models have produced promising results in test applications in Houston.
- Research study title: Validation of the Shirley Highway HOV Lane Demand Model in Texas.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Texas State Department of Highways & Public TransportationTransportation Planning Division, P.O. Box 5051
Austin, TX United States 78763
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Benson, J D
- Mullins III, J A
- Stokes, R W
- Publication Date: 1989-11
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 72 p.
- TRT Terms: Carpools; High occupancy vehicle lanes; High occupancy vehicles; Mathematical models; Traffic lanes; Transportation; Travel demand
- Uncontrolled Terms: Transportation models
- Old TRIS Terms: Reserved lanes
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General); I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00496668
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-90/1103-2F, Res Rept 1103-2F, TTI: 2-10-87-1103-2F
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-10-87-1103
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Aug 31 1990 12:00AM