A PROGRAM OF EXPERIMENTS INVOLVING CHANGES IN TERMINAL OPERATIONS - COMPLETION REPORT, HOSTLING WITHIN THE ST. LOUIS TERMINAL
This experimental program is a labor, management and government undertaking directed by the Labor/Management Committee. The St. Louis Terminal of the Missouri Pacific Railroad was selected as a location for testing innovative experiments in terminal operations. Temporary experimental changes are considered in any operational or regulatory aspect of the terminal. This report presents the results and conclusions from an experiment involving the hostling of locomotives within the St. Louis Terminal. The movement of locomotives within the terminal was restricted by established seniority districts and by the lack of agreement to permit hostling across the Mississippi River between MoPac's east and west side yard facilities. An experiment waiving these restrictions for a six-month period was carried out, and the results indicate the hostling privileges were fully utilized producing improved locomotive utilization and reduced yard congestion. The experiment was well received by both terminal management and labor, and an agreement was reached making these changes permanent prior to the completion of the experiment.
- Requests should be directed to Mr. D.M. Collins, Secretary, Labor/Management Task Force on Rail Transportation, FRA.
Association of American Railroads50 F Street, NW
Washington, DC United States 20001-1564
Missouri Pacific Railroad CompanyMissouri Pacific Building, 210 North 13th Street
St Louis, MO United States 63103
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
Railroad Labor Organizations,
- Publication Date: 1975-12-5
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight terminals; Intermodal terminals; Labor unions; Locomotive operations; Locomotive utilization; Work rules
- Identifier Terms: Missouri Pacific Railroad
- Geographic Terms: Saint Louis (Missouri)
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00129258
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Contract Numbers: EB-400-0-ARR-849, DOT-FR-4-3003
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 19 1976 12:00AM