PROCEEDINGS OF THE 1975 NATIONAL RAIL PLANNING CONFERENCE
This publication is a compilation of thirty-five papers presented at the two and one-half day National Rail Planning Conference held in New Orleans, Louisiana from May 19-22, 1975. The Conference attracted approximately 300 representatives of government, industry, university and consulting interests. The objective of the Conference was "to outline the direction that rail planning should take in the development of urban, state, rural and national transportation systems and to insure that these systems are responsible and productive to the people that use them". To accomplish this objective speakers from the Federal, state, regional and local governmental levels, the railroad industry and research agencies presented papers related to rail planning in the following areas: NATIONAL LEVEL: Federal support for rail planning funds; procedures and methodology for conducting rail planning studies; appropriate Federal policy regarding rail system planning. STATE LEVEL: State rail planning goals; state capability to conduct rail planning studies; state planning approach--modal vs. functional. LOCAL AND REGIONAL LEVEL: Abandonment of facilities and service; economic impact of railroad on communities; USRA approach to rail system planning; role of railroad industry in local and regional planning.
- This project was sponsored by the Federal Railroad Administration, DOT.
Richards and AssociatesDrawer DR
College Station, TX United States 77840
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Pagination: 104 p.
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Branch lines; Governments; Investments; Nationalization; Ownership; Planning; Policy; Regional planning; State departments of transportation; Subsidies; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: Conrail
- Old TRIS Terms: Government planning; Government policies; United states railway association
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00129202
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf. Proc
- Contract Numbers: P.O. 66018
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 19 1976 12:00AM