CONCEPTUAL DESIGN AND ANALYSIS OF THE TRACKED MAGNETICALLY LEVITATED VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM (TMLV)--REPULSION SCHEME; VOLUME 1 - TECHNICAL STUDIES
This report summarizes the studies of a program to establish the technology of magnetic suspension for ultimate use in a passenger-carrying high-speed ground transportation (HSGT) system - at speeds on the order of 134 m/s (300 mph). Magnetic Levitation (MAGLEV) is one of the advanced vehicle suspension concepts considered as alternatives to conventional transportation modes in the short-haul regime. These advanced systems have the potential of alleviating the heavy traffic congestion predicted for the highly populated regions of the U.S. in the 1985-1995 period. The national energy shortage has intensified the search for more energy-efficient and cost-effective transportation modes. This volume summarizes the analyses and designs which demonstrate the performance of the system including the ability to meet the DOT ride quality standards on straight and level guideways as well as on curves and grade transitions. Conceptual designs and costs are shown for the vehicles, guideways, and the complete system. Various propulsion systems and guideway configurations are investigated, and a simple economic model is developed for the evaluation of MAGLEV systems on a cost per seat-mile or cost per passenger-mile basis.
- This project was sponsored by the Federal Railroad Administration, DOT.
Ford Motor CompanyScientific Research Staff, American Road
Dearborn, MI USA 48121
Philco-Ford CorporationAeronautronic Division, Ford Road
Newport Beach, CA USA 92663
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1975-2
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 380 p.
- TRT Terms: Guideways; High speed vehicles; Intelligent transportation systems; Magnetic levitation; Ride quality; Vehicle dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced systems; High speed ground vehicles
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00129199
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OR&D-75-21 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-40024
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 4 1976 12:00AM