REPORT ON FIRST CORROSION TEST WITH AN NMSR BUFFER SEAL AND SHAFT SECTION AS RECEIVED FROM NEW YORK SHIPBUILDING CORPORATION
Tests determined the corrosive effect of rust, scale, and other detritus which accumulated on the seal rings of the buffer seal in the Savannah during an extended period when the rods were inactive but under pressure during pre-fueling test programs. Examination of one rod withdrawn prior to system cleanup indicated corrosion on the chrome plate of the seal shaft at the upstream edge of the upstream rings on the atmospheric side of the injection water inlet. A static corrosion test of the buffer seals simulated the conditions of crud plus immobility experienced during the shipboard tests. Test specimens contained dirt and contaminants accumulated during the pre-fueling tests. A second test determined the effect of water of reactor purity on an "A" clean NMSR buffer seal and shaft with the shaft restrained in a static position. Except for the cleanliness of the buffer seal and shaft, test conditions and apparatus were the same as those used in the first test. A third test, designed to separate the corrosion effects of pure water and of scale and dirt, evaluated the effect of reduced flow rate with water of reactor quality in a clean buffer seal and shaft without shaft motion.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number SSCP-1849.
Stein Seal Company20th Street and Indiana Avenue
Philadelphia, PA United States
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyNew York, NY United States
- Publication Date: 1962-11-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 47 p.
- TRT Terms: Control systems; Corrosion tests; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Seals (Devices)
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor control systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026478
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-3)-274
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 14 1973 12:00AM