SUPPLEMENT TO LIABILITY OF STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS FOR SNOW AND ICE CONTROL
State highway departments and transportation agencies have a continuing need to keep abreast of operating practices and legal elements of specific problems in highway law. This report supplements and updates a paper in Volume 4 of "Selected Studies in Highway Law," entitled "Liability of State and Local Governments for Snow and Ice Control," pp. 1869-1888S5, which was prepared by J.C. Vance. The contents of this Digest update the information presented in the original paper on the following topics: Introduction; Duty of reasonable care as applying to fact situations; Duty of State to warn of or take remedial action with respect to known dangerous conditions; "Highway Defect" statutes; Construction of particular statutes affecting duty in respect to snow and ice control; Requirement of written notice; Liability of police department with respect to reporting snow and ice conditions; Immunity for snow removal on grounds of policy; Effect of State Tort Claims Acts on duty of snow and ice control; Miscellaneous; and Conclusion.
- Record URL:
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1990-2
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 11 p.
- NCHRP Legal Research Digest
- Issue Number: 9
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- TRT Terms: Highway law; Liability; Local government; Snow and ice control; State government
- Old TRIS Terms: Tort claims acts
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Maintenance and Preservation; I10: Economics and Administration; I62: Winter Maintenance;
- Accession Number: 00495659
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Jul 31 1990 12:00AM