TORT LIABILITY AND RISK MANAGEMENT
In 1985, at the height of the "tort liability crisis" and at the urging of administrators, engineers and lawyers, the Transportation Research Board (TRB) formed a task force to study and make recommendations regarding the question of tort liability faced by the State highway and transportation departments. The scope of A4T51: Task Force on Torts, was concerned with the law of torts as well as the administration of risk management by the states. The appointment period ended in January 1990 when its Final Report was made to the Group 4 Council. The Task Force was very active during its tenure. It met semi-annually at the Transportation Law Workshop and at the TRB Annual Meeting. At the 1989 and 1990 TRB Annual Meetings it sponsored paper sessions. The papers which make up this Circular were presented at these Annual Meetings. They are as follows: Manuals for Traffic Engineers: An Engineering Tool or Legal Weapon? The California Experience, B.C. Gowen; Using Research in Defending Tort Liability Cases, J.D. Blashke; Giving a Deposition in a Highway Negligence Case, D.S. Turner; Evolution of Risk Management in a State Highway Agency, G.L Gittings and D.J. Jacobs; Status Report: Tort Liability Among State Highway Agencies, D.S. Turner, J.K. Davis and B.T. Wood; and Final Report: Education/Training Subcommittee, TRB Task Force on Tort Liability, D.S. Turner.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/00978515
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1990-7
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 140 p.
- Transportation Research Circular
- Issue Number: 361
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0097-8515
- TRT Terms: Committees; Laws and legislation; Liability; Recommendations; Risk management; State departments of transportation; Tort liability; Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Task force
- Subject Areas: Law; Transportation (General); I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00495652
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Jul 31 1990 12:00AM