OPENING GENERAL SESSION REMARKS OF NORMAN MINETA
The Chairman of the Subcommittee on Surface Transportation of the House Committee on Public Works, Norman Mineta, takes a brief look back at the beginning of the highway system and notes how it has grown into the present day Interstate Highway System along with escalating costs to merely maintain it. He cites the debilitating state of highway infrastructure and states that we, as a nation, must be mindful of economic competitiveness worldwide, the mobility of both people and goods and above all, safety as we seek to address our transportation needs. The only way to handle these burgeoning costs and to prepare for and insure future mobility is for federal, State and local government to join in cooperative efforts to finance needed maintenance and rehabilitation programs as well as to plan for and address future transportation needs. He calls upon the AASHTO to help lay the groundwork for the legislation to help bring these efforts to fruition.
- Selected Committee Meeting Papers Presented at the Seventy-fifth Annual Meeting of the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials in Atlanta, Georgia, October 9-10, 1989.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Mineta, N
- Publication Date: 1989
- Pagination: p. 1-5
- TRT Terms: Competition; Federal government; Finance; Financing; Legislation; Local government; Mobility; State government; Transportation planning
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Law; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00495421
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 31 1990 12:00AM