FLOW FIELD PROPERTIES IN THE VICINITY OF A TRACTOR/SEMITRAILER TRUCK, AND CORRELATIONS WITH THE AERODYNAMIC DISTURBANCE OF AN ADJACENT VEHICLE
Flow field properties were measured at various locations in the vicinity of a tractor/semitrailer truck. The results were expressed as 3 dimensional flow vectors, and as dynamic pressure estimates. The dynamic pressure estimates provided some qualitative understanding of the nature of the flow field. The overall results of changing the truck width from 96 to 102 in. are discussed. The results and effects are consistent with the changes which occur to the disturbing forces and moments on a passenger vehicle, when operating in the vicinity of a truck or bus during an overtaking and passing maneuver.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA United States 90250
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Johnson, W H
- Weir, D H
- Publication Date: 1972-10
- Pagination: 55 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamics; Buses; Flow; Flow fields; Highway traffic; Highways; Passing; Tractor trailer combinations; Trailers; Truck tractors; Trucks; Wakes; Wind tunnels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Model tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Aerodynamic characteristics; Disturbances; Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00094433
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: STI-TR-1016-3 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: FH-11-7570
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 21 1977 12:00AM