REPORT ON TESTS OF PERFORMANCE OF BUFFER SEAL FOR CONTROL RODS OF NUCLEAR MERCHANT SHIP REACTOR
The results of the tests reported reaffirm the conclusions of the first life test of the Nuclear Merchant Ship Reactor buffer seal and provide further assurance that, with respect to control of leakage, durability of parts, and overall operability, the design and the materials in which it is embodied are completely satisfactory for their intended service. No appreciable differences were found in wearability, or general durability due to the change in age hardening of the buffer seal shaft material from the 900-950 F to the 1100 F condition. Tests are described and related blueprints, photographs, and tables are provided.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number S-7-TP.
Stein Seal Company20th Street and Indiana Avenue
Philadelphia, PA USA
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyNew York, NY USA
- Publication Date: 1962-9-24
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 49 p.
- TRT Terms: Control systems; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactor components; Nuclear reactors
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor control rods; Nuclear reactor control systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026465
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-3)-274
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 26 1973 12:00AM