FREIGHT CAR TRUCK DESIGN OPTIMIZATION. LITERATURE SEARCH. VOLUME I
This document serves as an introduction to the literature known to be available and relevant to rail freight car trucks, their components and performance characteristics. In connection with the Federal Railroad Administration sponsored research in Truck Design Optimization a literature search was conducted to review and assemble all relevant publications, papers, and articles. The collected documentation has been organized into five sections: (1) The History of the Freight Car Truck; (2) Truck Design; (3) Truck Companents; (4) Track-Train Dynamics as Related to Truck Performance; and (5) Truck Performance. Each section contains; an introduction dealing with literature selected for reprinting, reprints of articles judged particularly representative or salient, and a bibliography alphabetized by author. The five sections have been organized into three-volumes. Volume I contains the sections entitled: "The History of the Freight Car Truck" and "Truck Design." Volumes II and III will complete the compilation. It is expected that supplements to the three initial volumes will be published at a later date as additional information becames available.
- Record URL:
- This interim report represents the first of a three volume set. Volume II (RRIS 02 129105) and Volume III (RRIS 02 129106) bear the same report number with B and C suffixes respectively.
Southern Pacific Transportation CompanyTechnical Research and Development Group
San Francisco, CA United States 94105
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Features: Figures; Photos; References;
- Pagination: 124 p.
- TRT Terms: Bibliographies; Bolsters; History; Hunting (Dynamics); Research projects; Ride quality; Snubbers; Spring; Suspension systems; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Vehicle design; Wear
- Old TRIS Terms: Truck and bolster systems
- Subject Areas: Design; History; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00129104
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OR&D 75-81A Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-40023
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 19 1976 12:00AM