MODELING THE URBAN GOODS CONSOLIDATION TERMINAL SITE SELECTION DECISION. PART III
The study investigates the economic feasibility of implementing the concept of a consolidated terminal for small shipments destined to or originating in the central business district (CBD) of an urban area. More specifically, this involves the determination of the number and location(s) of hypothetical consolidation terminal(s) within the greater Columbus, Ohio, metropolitan area, and the assignation of shipments to each terminal in terms of CBD zones and clusters of truck operators. The consolidation terminal site selection problem is formulated as a linear integer programming model which takes into consideration the various characteristics of the CBD small shipment. Shipment sizes of 5000 pounds or less, and 1000 pounds or less were investigated. The solution technique developed for the model utilizes a linear programming computer algorithm for the initial solution; an iterative heuristic solution approach follows which provides for only integer values of the binary variables and for the nonlinear nature of the operating cost function. The heuristic solution converges rapidly and can be adopted wherever linear computer programming is available.
- See also Part 2, PB-239854.
Ohio State University, ColumbusCollege of Administration Science
Columbus, OH USA 43210
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- ROBESON, J F
- Lai, A W
- Publication Date: 1974-11
- Pagination: 133 p.
- TRT Terms: Central business districts; Consolidations; Freight terminals; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Intermodal terminals; Linear programming; Mathematical models; Operating costs; Physical distribution; Shipments; Surveying; Surveying; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Distribution systems
- Geographic Terms: Ohio
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Central city; Consolidating stations
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00094421
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: RF-3491-TR-1 Pt-3 Tech. Rpt., UMTA-OH-11-0001-74-3
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 21 1977 12:00AM