SUPPLEMENT TO REPORT ON TESTS OF GUIDE BUSHINGS FOR BUFFER SEALS
The results of tests to investigate the suitability of materials for guide bushing service in buffer seals for high pressure water reactors are reported. The Stellite #3 guide bushings tested performed satisfactorily, while it was determined that the Teflon lined bushing must be discounted because of Telflon's high coefficient of thermal expansion which could cause severe dimensional changes during reactor operation. Of the atmospheric seal materials evaluated, it was found that the Raybestos-Manhattan "V" rings #1216 of asbestos impregnated with Buna-N was superior. Descriptions of the tests and related figures, tables, and photographs are provided.
- Thid document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number S-7-TG.
Stein Seal Company20th Street and Indiana Avenue
Philadelphia, PA USA
Babcock and Wilcox CompanyNew York, NY USA
- Publication Date: 1962-11-2
- Features: Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Control systems; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Sealing compounds
- Old TRIS Terms: Nuclear reactor control systems; Seal materials
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026462
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-3)-274
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 26 1973 12:00AM