IMPROVED PERFORMANCE CRITERIA FOR USE IN NUCLEAR GAGE SPECIFICATIONS
A laboratory study of nuclear moisture-density gage parameters is reported. Commercial gages were studied to determine the capabilities of present day gages. A research gage was fabricated with a system of precision modular instruments for radiation analysis and measurement and variable gage parameters. Gage geometry, configuration and components could be varied simultaneously or independently. The following gage parameters were investigated: Source-detector-(Separation, Collimation, Selection, Shielding); Gamma photon energy discrimination; Gage configuration. These parameters were evaluated by gage response to changes in moisture, density, soil mineral composition, surface irregularities, temperature and influence by nearby objects. The objective was to develop the criteria necessary to write efficient 'state-of-the-art' specifications for nuclear-moisture density measurement gages for use in highway compaction control.
5900 Folsom Boulevard
Sacramento, CA United States 95819
- Chan, E E
- Champion, F D
- Chang, J C
- HANNON, J B
- Forsyth, R A
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Pagination: 82 p.
- TRT Terms: Compaction; Densitometers; Electromagnetic radiation; Measurement; Measuring instruments; Nuclear radiation; Nuclear tests; Performance; Performance based specifications; Reviews; Soil water; Specifications
- Old TRIS Terms: Radiation measurement; Radiation measuring instruments
- Subject Areas: Construction; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00094397
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CA-DOT-TL-210817521 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: F-4(24)
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 21 1977 12:00AM