ISSUES IN THE SHIFT FROM REGIONAL TO LOCAL PROVISION OF BUS SERVICE
This synthesis will be of interest to transit administrators and planners as well as local and regional politicians and officials who may be contemplating using local bus service to supplement or replace service provided by a regional operator. Information is provided on the costs and other issues involved in this type of change in service. Since 1975 a number of local governments have augmented or replaced transit service previously provided by a regional transit agency. This report of the Transportation Research Board describes the various issues that will have an effect on the decision by a local agency to operate transit service. The issues include funding and organizational environment, costs, quality of service, politics, and impact on the regional operator. Because most of the shifts in service provision have taken place within the last six years, no conclusions as to their long-term implications can be drawn.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/0309049032
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Ulberg, C G
- Publication Date: 1990-4
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 31 p.
- NCTRP Synthesis of Transit Practice
- Issue Number: 14
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0732-1856
- TRT Terms: Bus transit; Costs; Finance; Financing; Impacts; Labor unions; Local government; Organization; Politics; Public transit; Quality of service; Regional transportation; Transit operators; Transportation planning
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus services
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00494584
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 0-309-04903-2
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: May 31 1990 12:00AM