MOBILE ROOF SUPPORTING SHIELD
The patent describes a flexible shield for protecting excavating activities in a tunnel from roof falls which is made mobile by its drivable underlying support structure. Double acting hydraulic jacks, which are retained upright by pivotal and flexible members in each section of a train of sections comprising the support structure, underpin the flexible shield, and are operable to alternately apply the flexible shield in close proximity to the tunnel roof and maintain it free from engagement with the roof to facilitate its displacement along the tunnel with the support structure. A webbing of interlaced straps which take shape within edge supporting cables form panels corresponding to the sections, and these panels are integrated by nonrigid connections at the jack structures to make a canopy arrangement constituting the flexible shield.
- Also includes report no. DOCKET/MIN-1982.
Department of the Interior1849 C Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20240
- Barrett, A L
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction projects; Excavation; Flexibility; Jacks (Mechanical equipment); Patents; Portable equipment; Shields (Tunnels); Tunneling; Underground structures
- Uncontrolled Terms: Mobile equipment
- Old TRIS Terms: Excavation technology; Jacks lifts; Shields tunneling; Tunnel excavation; Underground supporting
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00094321
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-357 737 Patent
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM