FIELD MEASUREMENTS OF GROUND DISPLACEMENTS ABOUT A TUNNEL IN SOIL
Soil displacements were measured during the construction of two 21-ft OD shield-driven tunnels in principally granular soil for the Washington, D.C. Metro. The program of field observations and measurements was implemented to determine the relationship of construction procedure to ground movements about the tunnels. Inclinometers, extensometers, and surface settlement surveys measured the soil displacements at three instrument cross-sections in the Lafayette Park Test Section. The soil displacements were measured at a sufficient number of points at each cross-section such that the complete pattern of ground movements at different stages of construction could be determined.
- Prepared in cooperation with DeLeuw, Cather and Co., Washington, D.C.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
205 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL United States 61801-2352
Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority950 l'Enfant Plaza, SW
Washington, DC United States 20006
De Leuw, Cather and CompanyDenver, CO United States
- Hansmire, W H
- Cording, E J
- Publication Date: 1975-9
- Pagination: 359 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Dislocation (Geology); Dynamics; Earth movements (Geophysics); Earth pressure; Excavation; Excavation and tunneling; Extensometers; Field tests; Granular soils; Ground settlement; Highway capacity; Inclinometers; Properties of materials; Seismicity; Soils; Subways; Tunneling machines; Tunnels; Vehicular tunnels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Earth movements; Field measurements; Soil dynamics; Soil properties
- Geographic Terms: Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Excavation technology; Subway construction; Tunnel capacity
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00094295
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UILU-ENG-75-2021 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1981 12:00AM