SHIRLEY HIGHWAY BUS-ON-FREEWAY PROJECT EVALUATION STUDY
The Shirley Highway Bus-on-Freeway Demonstration Project seeks to ease traffic congestion and shorten travel times for bus and auto travelers commuting during rush hour periods via the Shirley Highway Corridor from Northern Virginia suburbs to employment centers in Washington, D. C. This and other project goals, which include reducing vehicle-caused air pollution and improving bus service, can be attained by effecting an auto-to-bus modal shift by persons commuting via the Corridor area. Three project elements - (1) an exclusive bus lane on the Shirley Highway and bus priority lanes within the District of Columbia; (2) improved bus service including new-look/new-feature buses; and (3) park-and-ride facilities will, according to the premise under which the project was conceived, effect this modal shift and achieve a substantially increased bus market share. The Technical Analysis Division, National Bureau of Standards, is evaluating project performance with emphasis on the effectiveness of the three project elements. This paper describes evaluation procedures used during the first year and identifies difficulties encountered with various monitoring procedures, as well as presenting preliminary conclusions and plans for future activities.
- Pub. in Proceedings of Social Experiments and Social Program Evaluation Symposium, Gaithersburg, Md. 22 May 72 p40-53 1974.
National Bureau of Standards14th Between E Street and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20234
- Miller, G K
- Publication Date: 1974
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality management; Bus lanes; Bus priority; Buses; Commuting; Demonstration projects; Evaluation; Freeways; Modal split; Parking facilities; Surveying; Traffic congestion; Traffic surveys; Travel time; Urban transportation
- Geographic Terms: Virginia; Washington (District of Columbia)
- Old TRIS Terms: Route surveys
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00094293
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1981 12:00AM