TUNNEL EXCAVATION WITH ELECTRICALLY GENERATED SHOCK WAVES
The patent relates to an apparatus and method for excavating tunnels with electrically generated shock waves. The tunneling apparatus is comprised of a rotatable barrel for cutting a peripheral ring about a core and a bit which simultaneously bores a hole in the center of the core. The drive for the rock bit also contains electrodes which are pulsed to produce shock waves in the core to peel off a desired thickness of rock layer.
- Government-owned invention available for licensing. NTIS Number AD-D001496/9ST, but no availability.
Department of the NavyWashington, DC USA
- Allgood, J R
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Drilling; Drills; Electric discharge; Electric power supply; Excavation; Excavations; Patents; Pulses; Shock waves; Tunneling; Tunnels
- Old TRIS Terms: Excavation technology; Tunnel drills
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Energy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00094254
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-346 201 Patent
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM