PLANNING FOR COASTAL RECREATION OPPORTUNITIES NEAR LARGE URBAN AREAS: A STUDY RELATING TRANSPORTATION AND RECREATION
Recreation research is traditionally either behavior-oriented or directed towards methodologies for economic benefit evaluation of recreation projects; recreation planning generally produces a document indicating how, when and where recreation opportunities are to be provided. General recreation research and functional planning are seldom mutually influential nor do they provide the basis for informed decision making by the public. A sensitivity approach is proposed to develop information on level and geographic distribution of recreational visitation, a key input towards determining the final implications associated with recreation plans. An approach is presented for modeling the accessibility of recreation resources as a function of demand for activities, supply of opportunities, and the highway network connecting demand centers and supply zones. The specific case of planning for coastal recreation opportunities along the California Central Coastal Zone near the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose and Fresno metropolitan areas was used to demonstrate the usefulness of the methodology in functional recreation planning.
- Completion Report.
INTASAMenlo Park, CA United States
Office of Water Research and TechnologyC Street between 18th and 19th Streets, NW
Washington, DC United States 20242
- Lijesen, D P
- Snir, Y
- Rosing, J
- Skurski, K
- Publication Date: 1975-7
- Pagination: 122 p.
- TRT Terms: Beaches; Benefit cost analysis; Coastal zone management; Coasts; Demand; Geography; Highways; Mathematical models; Metropolitan areas; Networks; Recreation; Recreational facilities; Roads; Sensitivity; Supply; Transportation; Urban areas; Water resources
- Uncontrolled Terms: Availability; Road networks; Supply and demand
- Geographic Terms: California
- Old TRIS Terms: Coastal; Supply economics
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00094247
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: OWRT-C-5213(4234)(1)
- Contract Numbers: DI-14-31-0001-4234
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1976 12:00AM