REDUCED SHEAR STRESS END FITTING
The patent application relates to an end fitting for a hawser which reduces the shear stresses generated within the hawser. The hawser is embedded in a tapered plug, which fits within a complementary member which does not surround the tapered plug for its full axial length. As a result of this geometry, the shear stress which results from the combined tensile and compressive stresses within the hawser and plug is reduced thereby allowing a greater tensile load to be exerted upon the hawser.
- Government-owned invention available for licensing.
Department of the NavyWashington, DC United States
- Hering, F S
- Ohlbaum, R A
- Publication Date: 1974-6-6
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Cables; Fittings; Patents; Wire rope
- Old TRIS Terms: Cable fittings
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00128982
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Pat. Appl.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 4 1976 12:00AM