STATISTICS ON BRIDGE-TO-BRIDGE FREQUENCY USAGE AT SELECTED SITES IN THE THIRD COAST GUARD DISTRICT
Equipment was assembled and tested to record the time of occurrence and the duration of transmissions on the vessel bridge-to-bridge radio frequency, VHF-FM Channel 13. The input to this equipment was provided by magnetic tape recordings previously obtained at each site over a 24 hour period or by directly connecting the equipment to a VHF-FM monitor receiver. Message length histograms indicated that about 50 percent of all transmissions were of less than 3 seconds in duration and that about 95 percent of all transmissions were of less than 10 seconds in duration. The sites for which data was obtained include Governor's Island; Fort Schuyler, NY; Sandy Hook, NJ; Cape Henlopen; The C and D Canal; Philadelphia Naval Shipyard; Eatons Neck, NY; New Haven and Groton, CT.
- See also AD-A015 931/9 "Statisties on Bridge-to-Bridge Frequency Usage at Selected Sites in the Eighth Coast Guard District."
United States Coast GuardResearch and Development Center, 1082 Shennecossett Road
Groton, CT United States 06340-6096
- McIntosh, J A
- Brown, L B
- Publication Date: 1975-5
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Bridges (Ships); Communication; Communication systems; Very high frequency
- Old TRIS Terms: Bridge to bridge communications; Vhf communications
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00128980
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CGR/DC-10/75 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 4 1976 12:00AM