MODEL TEST FOR STRESSES AND DEFLECTIONS IN THE NS SAVANNAH REACTOR VESSEL MODEL AND ATTACHMENTS
A 1/4 scale steel model of the N. S. Savannah reactor vessel was used to determine experimentally the critical stresses and deflections resulting from internal pressure, piping reactions on primary coolant nozzles and flange bolt-up. An additional radial inlet nozzle was built on the lower hemispherical head of the model to obtain data for comparison with the non-radial inlet nozzle such as was used on the prototype. Test results are given in terms of stress concentration factors whenever possible, so that prototype stresses can be obtained from easily computed reference stresses. The stresses in the vessel are found to be well below the yield point of the material except at the inner surface of the outlet nozzle, top and bottom. This stress, due to internal pressure is 3.00 times the circumferential membrane stress in the vessel wall. Stresses due to external bending moments on the nozzles are of secondary importance. Estimated prototype stresses based on model strain measurements are comparatively low both for bolt-up alone and bolt-up plus 2000 psi internal pressure. Permanent deformation occurred in inner surface, top and bottom of the outlet nozzle during the 2000 psi test.
- This document is available for review at the Department of Commerce Library, Main Commerce Building, Washington, D.C., under reference number NYO-2856.
Franklin InstituteLaboratories for Research and Development
Philadelphia, PA USA
- Vining Jr, R E
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 174 p.
- TRT Terms: Equipment tests; Nozzles; Nuclear powered ships; Nuclear reactors; Stresses; Structural analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Nozzle stress; Nuclear reactor testing
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Materials; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00026431
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: NYO-2856
- Contract Numbers: AT(30-1)-2129
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 11 1973 12:00AM