VOLVO B-58 ARTICULATED BUS DEMONSTRATION SURVEY RESULTS
The document is a tabulation and summary of questionnaires given to 1235 riders, 51 transit drivers and 8 transit maintenance personnel in the six west coast cities that participated in the 1974 demonstration of a Volvo three-axle articulated motor bus from Stockholm Transit. The bus was leased by the Municipality of Metropolitan Seattle, (METRO), demonstrated in Seattle, and was then demonstrated by B.C. Hydro, Vancouver, British Columbia; AC Transit, Oakland, Golden Gate Transit, San Rafael; Southern California Rapid Transit District, Los Angeles; and San Diego Transit. The questionnaires for riders were directed at their evaluation of the characteristics of the bus, their transportation habits and their demographic characteristics. Bus drivers were asked their reaction to the features on this bus and its driving characteristics. Maintenance supervisors were asked their comments on servicing this bus compared to standard transit buses and the use of present shops for the longer articulated bus. Overall, the report concludes that the European articulated bus, with some modifications, should perform well in U.S. and Canadian transit service.
- Prepared by Booz-Allen Applied Research, Inc., Bethesda, Md. Participating Transit Properties; B. C. Hydro, Vancouver, Seattle Metro Transit, AC Transit, Golden Gate Transit, Southern California Rapid Transit District, (SCRTD), San Diego Transit.
Seattle, City of, Washington600 4th Avenue
Seattle, WA United States 98104
Booz-Allen Applied Research, Incorporated4733 Bethesda Avenue
Bethesda, MD United States 20014
- Publication Date: 1975-6
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Bus drivers; Bus transportation; Buses; Demonstration projects; Fuel consumption; Maintainability; Maintenance personnel; Performance evaluations; Performance tests; Questionnaires; Ridership; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Articulated vehicles
- Geographic Terms: Canada; Sweden
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00094181
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MMS/Transit-75/0001 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1981 12:00AM